Basketburgers

You might recall that Joel is a bit of a Basketball fan, and I have kind found myself a bit interested in it all too – it’s a bit like second-hand smoking, but with Basketball. I have seen the Lakers play at Staples Centre a couple of times (against Phoenix Suns and Detroit Pistons – HIGHLY recommended) and also saw the NY Knicks play Sacremento Kings at Madison Square Garden. They really know how to turn a sports game into a show in the States.

Anyhoo, Joel has been to quite a few Breakers games this season. A few weeks ago he came home all excited because the Breakers had scored 100 points – an excellent result in itself, but more importantly, when they hit that 100 mark Burger King (who sponsor the Breakers) get all generous on it and give away free burger vouchers to the crowd. I understood Joel’s excitement – I mean, who doesn’t like free burgers?

Suddenly, local basketball got a whole lot more appealing. And so I coined the term… basketburgers.

In the hope of getting a basketburger of my own, last week I headed along to the first semi-final game in a best-of-three series  between the Breakers and the Perth Wildcats. It was mostly quite fun, and but it never looked like we were going to get remotely close to 100.  At one stage, when we were well behind, Burger King announced they’d give everyone burger vouchers if the Breakers managed to turn the game around – 100 points or not. Alas, we did not win. No basketburgers.

Then, on Sunday the Breakers played the Wildcats in Perth for the second-of-three. It was a an amazing game, and this time we nailed it meaning it was one a piece – so there would be another game in Auckland to decide who would be going through to the finals. Exciting for the Breakers, of course, but also exciting for me because it meant there was still a chance I could end up with a basketburger.

On Wednesday I joined the capacity crowd at the North Shore Events Centre to cheer on the Breakers in the deciding game. I turned into a crazed basketball freak; clapping, yelling, hooting, cheering, doing the spirit fingers thing when we had free throws – the works. When the Breakers reached 92 points with a few minutes to go, I realised basketburgers were a definite possibility, but certainly not guaranteed. Oh the excitement!

Then, as they scored one more point taking them to 93, the announcer let us know that BK were gonna come through with free burger vouchers regardless of whether or not the Breakers hit the 100 points – I guess the BK promo dude was just high on the fact the Breakers were obviously going to win at that stage. Perhaps he was drunk? At any rate…

BASKETBURGERS!

Good thing they made that call with 93 on the board, because the Breakers ended up winning the game 99-83, and if Burger King had been particular about the 100 point rule then I would’ve walked away basketburgerless.

So for those of you who were asking what basketburgers are… well, now you know.

1. Alannah says

Yum!!! and it was a junior whopper! even better…
    although those creamy mayo cheeseburgers are mint!

2. Jana says

mmm free burgers…. must admit haven’t been impressed with BK recently & prefer KFC or McDonalds… however when it’s free who cares?!!
    Love the name you made up for it too 🙂

3. Christine says

Anyhoo? You been watching repeats of My Wife And Kids?

I want a Basketburger!

I’ve never watched a game of basketball live, but i’d like to, especially over in America, they sure do love their sport

Is anyhoo a My Wife and Kids thing? Had no clue.

Live basketball in the US is really something else.

4. Phoebe 1 says

This weekend I am encouraging my reluctant neighbour to trim his trees that shade my clothesline and house, they are full of aphids to make it worse and drip sticky stuff everywhere. Hoping for a result.

5. Loveloveloved watching the Cubs play in Chicago a couple of years back. Absolutely incredible!

6. Rubby says

I was there at the semis too!!! What a game. That was the first BB game I watched and I got so into it that we bought the tickets to the final at the exit right after the game.
    I got a voucher too. being a vegetarian I will give it away to someone.

7. xLeahx says

Oh, all that effort for one teeny tiny free voucher. Probably you could have sat outside BK looking sad and homeless and someone might have taken pity on you and bought you a burger. Which means less effort but still = free burger 🙂 That’s right, I am a genius at how to be lazy.

8. Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this blog.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s hard to get that “perfect balance” between superb usabiliyy
    and visual appearance. I must say you’ve done a
    very good job with this. Also, the blog loads super fast for me on
    Firefox. Excellent Blog!

9. sports says

Tip: When you reach 1,000 skill, you get a
    sparkly new ball. The above mentioned are just some of the benefits of the racquet sports.
    But it is difficult to determine what specific acts he consented to.

10. On request, you may take them along for elk hunting or.
    The first thing you’ll want to look at is the climate
    of the area you are hunting in. You may have heard of a break barrel air
    rifle, but you may not be aware of what one actually is.