On the other side of the cliffhanger

Right, so here’s the deal. You’ll have noticed I’ve been playing truant from the blog for some time now. Part of the idea of packing in The Girls’ Guide over at Stuff was to alleviate the pressure a bit, because updating three times a week was getting a touch stressful and it was starting to interfere with my ability to feed and bathe myself properly.

When I told you all I would be continuing to blog over here at PBTM, I warned you that you probably wouldn’t hear from me quite as often (because I am the boss of me round these parts) but at least you’d know that any entry I posted would be there because I wanted to write, not because I had to. Still, neither you nor I expected me to fall off the wagon quite as specatcularly as I have lately…

So please now allow me to explain. It’s not that I haven’t wanted to write, it’s more that I really couldn’t bring myself to write. There’s been stuff going on that I haven’t felt comfortable blurting out to the world, and sure, I could have just avoided the topic altogether, but the idea of blabbering on about other stuff when this ONE thing was occupying so much of my brainspace just didn’t sit right. I felt like it would be lying to you a bit.

Oh my, this all sounds very dramatic and serious doesn’t it? Perhaps I should cut to a commercial break so you can go for a wee or grab yourself a cuppa.

Okay, cliffhanger over. The truth is… I’ve been sick. It’s been a kind of sickness like I’ve never known. My energy levels have dropped to an all-time low, I haven’t left the house except to go to work (and even then some days I haven’t even managed that), I’ve made several trips to the doctor’s, spent hours lying awake clutching my stomach and I’ve cried buckets of tears.

You guys. I am pregnant. This is big, right? Wooo! Yay! We’re having a baby! And HOLY SHIT morning sickness sucks big time. Huge time. I-never-thought-it-could-be-this-bad time.

Now as you can imagine, it’s been pretty hard not to share this news with you since we found out at the beginning of September that we were expecting a brand new little person. We were very excited, and then we got really scared by all the nasty statistics, and then I got really sick and that didn’t go away (and still hasn’t I might add), and all that time this teensy wee collection of cells has been at the top of my mind but I haven’t been able to say anything to you about it. Basically, this baby has been ruling my life already and it was just too weird to try and blog about other things.

Plus, the sickness. Oh my. I can’t even tell you what morning (haha, morning, yeah right) sickness does to your will to live, let alone your will to communicate with the outside world. The only reason I have the energy and presence of mind to tippity-tap out this entry right now is because we had the all-important twelve-week scan today and all is looking as it should, so I guess I’m on a bit of a high. Don’t worry, that pesky morning sickness will knock me off my perch again any minute now, I guarantee it.

I can’t promise you I won’t talk a lot about this whole pregnancy malarkey (still cracks me up a bit to be honest) and I’ll probably talk a lot about the actual baby when it comes along too. I don’t think I’ll be able to help it, because it’s kind of a big deal. I’m stoked I can finally share this news with you guys.

It better be cute.

1. 🙂
    :))
    :)))
    Very happy for you! Congratulations!
    I was a bit worried at the beginning there, thought maybe it was going to be the C-word or something, not the P-word! Yay!
    It’s so weird that i’m so stoked for you and i don’t even know you!
    🙂

2. Yep – that’s big. And congrats, very cool news. Those pesky stats are rather distracting for the first trimester but now you are rocketing towards the second you want them to start working in your favour – like you are statistically probable to kick the ‘morning’ sickness pretty soon. As I recall about week 14 the clouds clear and you start feeling like a slightly rounder version of your former self. It’s a bit stink cos you know you’re preggers but you don’t look it, you just look like you lingered too long at the dessert table at the buffet. Still, energy comes back, sleep comes back and food stays down. It’s just around the corner – well statistically it is at least.

3. Christy says

Jane – that is brilliant news! Congratulations to you and Joel (and the fur children) on your awesome new adventure together. And now, I can acutally read each of your posts without scanning for the word pregnant, then starting at the beginning again, hah!

4. Brian Frances says

Ha, I thought as much! So nice to be proven right on something like this 😀 Congratulations & celebrations! When are you due? Do you want to know if the baby is a boy or a girl? Will you tell us when you find out? Really, I’m stoked!

• Ten points you! Due in May, and yeah I think we’ll be finding out if it’s a boy or girl. Not sure if we’ll tell other people or not yet… probably will because I’m not great with secrets.

5. Octopusgrrl says

Congratulations! I remember how scary and awful those first few weeks are, but it all does get better and once you’ve got a lovely round-y tummy it all starts to feel properly real 🙂 Good luck with everything!

6. YAY congrats!! I thought that is what it would be when I read your post yesterday about explaining your absence. The boy, the house.. then the baby!1 Makes sense to me!
    I had a baby this year. It is a pretty nuts thing!! It is a cool thing to do, so glad you are giving it a go hehe

Congratulations! And there you were wondering, completely irrationally, if you were barren. So exciting for you!

8. WOW!!! Yay congratulations 😀

I soooo know the morning sickness thing, I had it badly too, but had worn off by around 14-16 weeks so hopefully you’re nearly through.

If I could have a pill that put you in the state of feeling 5 months pregnant it would be awesome (was for me at least) never had so much energy, felt so healthy at any other time in my life. Something for you to look forward to 🙂

9. Congratulations to the both of you! You’re fully resembling an adult human now. Scary but amazing! Well done 🙂

10. It could be the hormones talking, but I love you guys. Thanks for all the lovely messages! I hope the cliffhanger wait was worth it for you 😉

Aww, Yay yay yay!!! That’s awesome news Jane. Massive congrats – those first 12 weeks are so scary/sicky for sure. That scan is pretty cool eh? Cant wait to read all about your pregnancy! How exciting, congrats to you and Joel!

12. Congratulations!!! 🙂 (I suspected as much – it couldn’t have been that you’re getting a puppy because … well, you know why!) Thanks for sharing your AWESOME news and planting a grin on my face.

13. Stella Morbius says

Thats fabulous news Jane congradulations. Your offspring will be lucky to have you as a mum.

Hello Mummy Jane, Daddy Joel, such fantastic news!!!!!!!! Congrats to you both.!!!!!!!

Not a life changing event she said, he/she will change your life like nothing else will . Yes morning- -all day sickness is horrible but does end thank god.
    Keep us posted just when you feel like it we aren’t going away, we like it here with you !
    Love you too Look after yourself

15. Something that helped me through those first hard months of pregnancy was knowing that growing a human being inside you (for the first 3 months) takes as much energy as walking up a steep hill – and that’s before you even DO anything. THAT’S why you’re so tired all the time. Can’t remember who told me, and don’t even know if it’s true, but it made me feel a bit better 🙂 Take care.

16. wahoo what great news , your lives will be forever changed in a good way 🙂

17. Thats totally awesome news to hear. Congratulations, I’m sure you will be super awesome at being a mummy as you are in everything else you do. Its a long hard road but its totally worth the journey, sit back relax and enjoy your pregnancy!!!!!

18. Aww Jane!!

Im so excited for you 🙂 Best news I’ve heard today! Im sure you and Joel will be great parents and the lil guy or girl will be gorgeous.

Cant wait for updates. i look forward to the day i can announce the same thing hehe x

19. Awesome news Jane. Huge congrats from myself and Lil Miss Trouble. 🙂
    Hope that all goes well and we look forward to hearing the updates from you as you work through all the fun and changes that becoming a parent brings. 😀

And look at it this way, you’ve got your very own support group here. 😀

20. Congrats! Such exciting news. Hope your ‘morning’ sickness goes away soon.

21. This is beautiful news, Jane. Many congratulations to you and Joel. I hope the coming months go as smoothly as possible, and look forward to the exciting outcome!

22. Gilly says

congrats Jane!! I had guessed it for some reason after the last post, but thought I must have been wrong! Hope the morning sickness eases a lot and that you start to enjoy it!!

23. Sorry for telling you all that it wasn’t a life-changing event in the last entry’s comments… I was trying to put you clever ones off the scent so you wouldn’t ruin my big announcement thanksverymuch.

24. Stella says

I’m just curious; the congradulatory comments haven’t freaked you out yet?

25. Cyberaxx says

Congratulations to you and Joel.

This is totally brilliant news. I am so happy for you both. I’m not entirely sure that they change your life but small people do change your focus.

What was your parents reaction when you told them?

26. Oh Jane! That’s super exciting! I am happy for both you and Joel for the news, but I sympathetic to the horror that you must be going through with the sickness.

Congratulations, Jane and Joel! Your child will be so lucky to have you guys as parents… 🙂

28. I am so excited for you – i just read your blog aloud to my partner expecting him to be as excited about this for you as I am! Sadly he just smiled (probably thinking I am a crazy person) YAY for you both!

29. Congrats Jane,
    That’s awesome news. I found the pregnancy pretty easy. But I guess its luck of the draw. My wife however like you struggled to about 15-16 week mark. You will be feeling better any week now.

Name Baby starting with a “J” you can be known as the Triple J’s now that’s cool. Oh Twins would ruin that. : )

30. Congratulations Jane! I’ve been thinking about you on and off for the past few days after reading this exciting news. Thanks so much for sharing it with your blog readers (stalkers?), looking forward to following (stalking?) your progress over the coming months! 🙂
    Take care of yourself, hope you feel better soon.

31. Michelle says

Hi Jane, Am due in March 2012 & after I had bad morning sickness was told that apparently the sicker you are, the healthier the baby is! Congrats & enjoy the journey!
    Michelle 🙂

32. Pingback: The bad bits « Picnic By The Motorway

33. congrats Jane! You are so grown up now, owning a house & being pregnant! Exciting! So hope you feel better soon, morning sickness really sucks from what I have heard from friends.

• Joel probably thinks he deserves a *little* credit too, but quite frankly I’m doing all the hard yards here, so I’ll take that. Thank you.

34. I heard a word of gossip the other day but have been slow to catch up with PBTM. Congratulations to you both, and get well soon!

35. Barbados says

Woohoo! I just pop in every now and then (an ex-reader of The Girls’ Guide) and this was very lovely to stumple upon 🙂 All the best xx