It’s a…

Right then, is it still Christmas? Yes, yes it is. Just scraped in with a few hours to spare.

Merry Christmas my wonderful Picnic By The Motorway friends! When I threw in the Girls’ Guide towel earlier this year I didn’t know if any of you would join me here, and while I know the majority of readers dropped off, there’s still YOU. Thank you for sticking with me, I’m hoping all my time at home with the baby next year will mean you and I will have more opportunities to hang out online.

This year has been good to me, I hope it’s been good to you too. My excellent year was also reflected in an excellent Christmas – filled with food, family and good times. It lacked the dramatics of previous years, but er, that’s not exactly a problem.

This Christmas was particularly special because on Wednesday we found out the gender of our baby, but we decided to torture our family and friends by holding out on telling them until today – because what better day to make the big reveal than Christmas Day?! Now the family and friends have been informed, so it’s your turn…

Joel made this amazing little animation for us to play on the telly at each of our family Christmas do’s. For each reveal we split the room so that everyone who thought it was a girl sat on one side, and everyone who thought it was a boy sat on the other. Then, we pressed play

You guys, in May we’re having a little:

• Of course they can! Same way that boys are allowed Sylvanian Families and My Little Pony.

Non-adherence to gender stereotypes is truly important, everyone should be allowed to develop into whoever it is that they are supposed to be.

• Stella says

I must admit I wouldn’t have been surprised if you had still suggested brushing up on transformers if Jane was having a girl

1. cantychick says

Love love love the animation, what a clever idea 🙂
    Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Things have turned a bit pear shaped in Chch with our extra quakes and then got the news of a family bereavement yesterday so not quite the Christmas/holiday break that I had envisaged…
    Roll on a better 2012! So excited to read more of your posts in the new year.
    Take care
    J 🙂 xo

2. Liz Foster says

Congratulations guys!, this flavour are heaps speedy high energy fun,
    Merry xmas

3. Yesss! Another on the boy team here – of course anything healthy and happy will be awesome. Awesome video too. With Joel’s talent and your rugged good looks, this kid’s onto a winner 😉

4. Stella says

the video was fabulous, you always seemed to be one of those women who would have a son; bet he’ll be a mother’s boy

Wonderful video Joel, I got excited just watching, I was sure it would be be BOY but watching made me doubt my choice for a few seconds.

I had a lovely Christmas day filled with food pressies and bubbles as planned; shared with family .All good.
    Never fussed on Boxing day as it’s a bit of a let down after the build up to Christmas so I will just potter, relax and try to wade even part way through the leftovers, open another button on the jeans…yes they have buttons,….and reflect. Not doing Boxing day sales this year just seems too hard shopping yet again, apart from getting some great buys other years. Must be mellowing

That video was awesome! So I was wrong, but that doesn’t matter.

Had a lovely Christmas here with just close family, and a couple of good friends who dropped by. Nearly all the prep work was done by Saturday evening, so no hassles, it was a lovely relaxing time.

Today, it’s really quiet, I have the house to myself for the next several hours, and I am taking the day off from any serious work. New books to read, and gadgets to play with. 🙂

Merry Xmas Jane, Joel, and baby boy! You’re gonna have to find a name for baby now, though no doubt you’ve been thinking about that for a while.

I can’t wait to watch the video, using my phone on 2g at the inlaws so it won’t load, poos.

So exciting to find out your having a boy, they really are quite lovely. First Christmas with our wee man this year, really lovely – will be so great once he’s a bit bigger and can really get into it.

Congrats again to you and Joel & merry Christmas everyone 🙂

8. Brian Frances says

Love that animation, very original! Congratz on the extra Y-chromosome 😀

9. Caitlin says

Omg that animation was so cute!! Love the little birds. Congratulations Jane and Joel 🙂

That video was awesome, especially the little red herring right at the very end! And I think I actually guessed right.

Congratulations you guys 🙂