Ready, set… no

My due date is just over a week away.

What the heck? How did this happen? How did I go from trying to choose between Latin and French for my language option in third form to sitting at home 8.75 months pregnant, about to become a REAL PROPER GROWN UP? Where did the time go?

We don’t have time to get into the passing of the last twenty years right now, so perhaps I should pull back a little and just say – where did the last nine months go? When I first found out I was pregnant, the days passed soooo slowly. Particularly during that difficult morning sickness phase. It seemed to take forever to get to that magical twelve-week mark. Things sped up during the second trimester, and by the time I hit the third the days were passing at an incredible rate.

Suddenly I find myself facing the prospect of going into labour anyminutenow and all my good intentions have gone out the window. I haven’t read the books I bought. I haven’t been doing ‘downstairs’ exercises. Heck, aside from waddling to the letterbox and back I haven’t really been doing any exercise at all. Also, I’ve eaten way too much McDonalds over the last nine months.

Some might say that I’m not ready to be having this baby, and to that I say – I don’t think anyone is ever really ready, right?

I mean, sure, you can prepare all you like, but nothing can actually ready you for the great unknown that is having a new little person in your life twenty-four-seven. So I’ve decided to stop worrying that I haven’t been drinking raspberry leaf tea, that I don’t know how many onesies a newborn needs, and that I haven’t been participating in aquanatal classes. I have a feeling there are going to be more important things to worry about once my son is placed in my arms.

Up until last week. I was quite happy to wait this out for as long as it takes. If our little dude decided he was going to be two weeks late then I was fine with that. I wanted the time to relax after all this renovation stuff. Sure, I’ve been off work for two and a half weeks now, but I’ve been so busy running around doing house stuff and preparing for Baby’s arrival that there hasn’t been much of a chance to stretch out on the couch in front of the telly while stuffing my face with pastries.

So yeah, I have been all ‘dude, stay where you are, that’s totally okay by me, I have some stuff to sort out before you get here’ – but in the last week my attitude has changed a little. I’ve been getting more and more tired, more and more uncomfortable. I am certain I can happily see this through to my due date without any major complaints, but the idea of going up to two weeks over? Well, now that’s starting to sound mighty unenjoyable.

People keep telling me to relax and enjoy this quiet time before he arrives, and I’m attempting to do exactly that. But at the same time I am feeling rather cumbersome and even sitting down to watch the telly while gorging on pastries only seems to lead to me getting sort of beached on the couch and shifting my weight every two minutes as I try to get comfy. Plus, I guess I’m eager to meet this little guy and finally have some little feeties to put these tiny socks on:

In the meantime…

PS: Do make sure you join me on Twitter. I have time on my hands so I’ve been far more tweety than usual.

1. Not that I know too much about this kind of thing, but surely the being more uncomfortable is a good sign that he’s just about ready.

Also, I think all of us are pretty much looking forward to photos.

2. R says

I just spat my water all over my keyboard as I scrolled down to see the socks in action. Too funny.

Now I have to try and explain to everyone (who asked why the sudden burst of laughter) why I’m reading blogs at work.

Oh boy.

That photo of Stella is adorable!! Very funny! Its so uncomfortable at the end eh? The last two weeks were hard and I hated people telling me to relax and enjoy them – and then I had baby and I finally understood how they could say it and mean it. Do some stuff in the next couple of weeks that you won’t get to do for a while – going to movies/dinner/brunch get you hair cut and that sort of thing. Treat yourself to a pedicure too. Enjoy spending time with Joel, I felt like I hardly spent any real time with my husband for the first few weeks.

Oh and don’t worry about the books – your totally right they don’t prepare you and you can always read stuff once babies here (plus you’ll know what you have to find out so you’ll save time not reading the useless parts!).

4. Oh that photo of Stella is just fantastic!

I’m so excited for you. I don’t have kids yet, but I can understand feeling like you have all the time in the world and then realizing that its all up. I wish you the best of luck. I can’t wait to see pictures! x

5. Jay says

The birth / pregnancy is such a tiny part of it, that the books can never prepare you for what you’re abot to experience, focus on resting and listen to the advice that is being thrust upon you by everyone, and then do what you want to do!!! 🙂 It’s an amazing time, take lots of pictures and video because as soon as your little man is out, you won’t believe what you look like now! (in a good way) Good luck, I’m sure it will be fine, and lucky you having a finished? house to bring baby home to! 🙂

6. TK says

Totally cracked up laughing when I saw the socks on Stella. 🙂

I went two weeks over due date with both my boys, I can understand your impatience to have him arrive. If you have access to a spa pool that you can have the temperature turned down a few degrees use it. The feeling of the baby’s weight being supported by the water is wonderful (unitl you try to get out and remember how heavy that baby belly really is 😉 )

7. Had a look at photos of my then my newborn fed and sleeping, happily, well he looked it,on my legs while I was sitting on the floor watching TV. Very little of what we are told today was relevant back the so we just did it, the maternal instinct kicked in and we just did it. I became this mother to a wonderful baby boy. I sat on the floor for the first week as I was afraid I would drop him, true.

He had no idea whether I knew what to do or not so the implication of complete and utter trust in my husband and myself was mind-boggling. Thing is for a first time mother as you, and I was, are it is ALL new so take it as it comes. Ignore the world. It is huge, amazing and never forgotten. [ Not the world]

Love Stella in socks!!

Your Boy will be born when he is ready and you and Joel will be cooing over this wee Bebe, and life will never be the same. Take tons of photos, minus flash so you don’t hurt his eyes.

8. Kazza says

Best of luck, Jane and Joel, with the waiting, the birthing and the chaos that’s to come. I’m not too far behind you – 33 weeks and just focussing on trying to get through to my last day of work on 1 June. I’m looking forward to having a few weeks off before the birth to laze on the couch watching TV and eating chippies, but there’s still so much to do…. I’m hoping baby doesn’t come early so I can have maximum relax time although that might change when I get super uncomfortable. I too wonder if I’m ready to be responsible for a baby, so its good to hear I’m not the only one. And, anyway, its too late to change my mind now 🙂

Hahaha, love the socks on Stella! Best wishes Jane, been seeing quite a bit of your Lowdown commercial on the telly lately and wondering how you were doing. 🙂

10. Jane that means he has a digital watch that he needs to reset, mine didn’t change either at Leap Year,….. well it wouldn’t know would it 🙂

11. I hope it all goes well Jane 🙂
    This is a life changing event in so many ways (good way)
    Is marriage the next step ?

12. Brian Frances says

Congratulations, wonderful news! Well done to all of you! Lots of hugs!