Reality

Oh hi there you.

Life has been a whirlwind, and yet simultaneously like Groundhog Day. Little Vic is now four and a half months old, and every day our surroundings look the same, but every day he changes up his naps so that I never know what to expect. What a considerate little fellow, keeping me on my toes like that so I never get bored! Except that’s a total lie, because sometimes I do get bored. Not of him of course, just of being stuck at home a lot.

It has occurred to me that I might not have actually told you how we came up with Little’s name. Now is as good a time as any to let you know I guess.

Victor is my Dad’s name (thus ‘Little Vic/Baby Vic’ – to differentiate him from ‘Big Vic’).  John is for my beloved uncle who we lost in a car accident in January. Mazhar is a Turkish name and is Joel’s Dad’s name.

You know, just in case you were wondering.

I have so much to talk about with you guys. Parenthood is all-consuming and I can’t believe the things I spend the bulk of my brain-time on these days. I obsess over his sleeping patterns, concern myself with the transition to solids, celebrate when he poops after a long stretch of no poop… these are the realities of life with a baby.

When I was pregnant I daydreamed about pushing a pram with my sweet little bundle cooing away inside. I imagined snuggling up on the couch with him nestled into my arms snoring softly. I pictured us spending sunny days lazing on a blanket at the park in the shade of a big Oak tree. Side note – for some reason, whenever I envisioned these scenarios, I was always trim and glowing. HA HA! While all of these things have, can, and will happen (minus the trim and glowing bit) – they are just drops in the ocean of parenthood. The bulk of it involves a lot of  fretting, lack-of-sleep delirium, getting confused by the myriad of dos and don’ts to be found in books, online and coming out of the mouths of well-meaning friends and family. There’s also a lot of milky spit up, and poop.

There are days when I feel like I have the best job in the world. And there are days when I feel like I’m going to go crazy with lack of brain stimulation.

Right now we’re going through a rather painful stage of teething meets four-month-sleep-regression (who knew?!) meets a new restlessness that has resulted from being in-between milestones. He’s always been quite a serious wee man, and now he’s scratchy to boot so I’m having to work rather hard to get smiles out of him at the moment. Yelling “I gave you life damn it, smile at me!” doesn’t work by the way. Thankfully, shoving a camera in his face does occasionally produce a heart-melting smile, which leads me to these:

Oh, while I have you, I might as well let you know that I should have some exciting news for you soon. Erm, no, I am not pregnant again – Tori Spelling I am not. Anyway, watch this space and I’ll keep you posted.

Also, how are you?

1. I’m good, thanks for asking! Cat went missing at the weekend and that was stressful, but we had a successful and happy outcome 🙂

Babies aren’t really my thing, but I have to say that yours is adorable. I’m not just saying that, either 😉

Why thank you. Cats can be your thing… especially the one that came back 🙂

2. He’s gorgeous! Love the idea of ‘x month’ photos with the blackboard too, might have to file that away for future babies (a while away yet but I am super clucky!).

I’m grand, thanks for asking! News with me is that we adopted a cat from the SPCA and he rocks, easily our best purchase of the year so far 🙂

There are loads of great ‘x’ month photo ideas. The internet is full of good stuff. God bless the internet – and you, for adopting a wee SPCA kitty cat

3. Oh hey stranger. I see you’ve started Vic on the computer already. Good thinking.
    All good here. The usual grind of working and stuff.

If you need a break from work, I know a little 5 month old who’s quite handy with spreadsheets

4. Ah solids! We’ve just started that (5 month old). Best book to buy? The new complete baby and toddler meal planner – Annabel Karmel. I got mine on trademe for $11.00. You will be so so happy you bought it.
    Agree with the boredom thing, and that’s with a toddler as well. Mind-numbing….. But also wouldn’t be that keen on working just yet, it will be summer soon! Lazing on a blanket in the park really does happen.
    Very cute baby too btw. Very cute!

I am so excited about the sun/blanket thing! It is my light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks for the head’s up on the book, will look into it

5. Jessicapea says

Your such a tease! Looking forward to hear your next news 🙂

Little Vic is so cute! Love the 4 month progress pic, what a great idea. Some one told me when My LO was new that when you have a baby days are long but years are short. And that felt so true. Some days I felt like I was drowning in all the advice and sleeplessness and growth spurts with their never ending breastfeeds. And then he’d reach a new milestone and I would be all what? Where is the time going!!?

Days are long but weeks/months/years are short. That’s spot on. I’ve been repeating this to loads of people since I read it here! Thanks for the new saying 😉

Well I have long suspected it, but you never can be sure that you’re not just being totally one-eyed!

6. You’ll emerge from “the bubble” soon enough. Then you can actually do those daydreamy things. I keep thinking when my boys were that young. 4 months! Wow. Can hardly remember it now, so cherish every day good and bad. You’re obviously camera-capable – are you shooting video as well? We play video back to our boys (now 3.5 and 2) who get a kick out of seeing their ‘baby’ selves. Great fun! And you can never have enough spare clothes on hand for milky spit-up (we call it upchuck) and poop (poo-doh). Are you in a mothers group? As a Dad, I even loved it, and it helped (surprisingly) with the mental boredom. I was reluctant, but we now have new lifelong friends out of it 🙂

Yup we’re shooting video, mostly on iPhone but it’s better than nothing. He already enjoys watching himself back. I may make a TV presenter out of this kid yet! Though his dad will be coming at him with a paintbrush so the battle’s on!!

Hey Jane, lovely to hear from you!

I said it before, but your wee boy is still the cutest baby I’ve ever seen. Looks like he’s growing up so quickly, he’ll be showing you the ropes with that computer soon. You’re doing a great job, even through the stress, and boredom, and sleep deprivation that comes with it.

So sorry to hear about your uncle, IIRC (without digging back through the archive), that would be the sad news you felt you couldn’t share earlier in the year?

Was wondering if you got your home reno finished in the end? It’s looking like we’ll be starting on a major project soon, maybe in around 6 months, which will be really stressful, but is also the very last major job in turning our place into what we want it to be. Can’t wait for it to be done, although not looking forward to the disruption and the extra debt it will entail.

Things have been a bit up and down here otherwise. Like dragonzflame we lost one of our cats recently, and unlike hers, ours didn’t come home. Sux, but she had not long been diagnosed with a terminal illness, so it could be that she saved us from having to decide when to let go of her.

On the up side, I’ve just had a lovely month away in Europe, exploring Budapest, parts of Austria and Germany, Paris, London and the southern UK. Love exploring new places, and revisiting a few I’ve been before.

Not so great was getting home all jetlagged, to find my boy had a cold, which I immediately caught, and which developed into a nasty chest infection, my favourite thing (not). Over the worst of it now, thank goodness. There are a couple of major projects at work that have been awaiting my attention, that are *still* waiting…

As I said, a mixed bag.

Catch up again soon, eh? Looking forward to your mysterious news… 🙂

Hey Andi, yup that was the news. Just awful stuff really, still doesn’t seem real.

As for the reno – we got finished what we planned to get finished before baby came along. It was supposed to end late March so I’d have my entire maternity leave in peace, but of course the last tradesman left the building on 1st May – so I had all of five days!

We still have skirting boards, doors, door frames to paint and that will be that lot of renos complete (2x bathroom, kitchen, lounge, dining). However, there are other parts of the house that still need doing – office, laundry, deck, landscaping. All in good time…

Good luck with all yours. It will be so nice to have it all done. I was so excited about our renovations, and I love them, but now it sort of highlights the bits that still need doing.

Sorry to hear about your cat 😦 that does suck 😦

Happy (and jealous) to hear about your travels though!

Hope you’re feeling better now. Don’t get all caught up on the mysterious news, I feel I may have overhyped it!

8. Caitlin says

The photo of him at the computer desk is hilarious! And the others are gorgeous; I especially love the close-up one of him on the sheepskin

9. Renee says

Jingas he’s a beautiful wee boy, you and Joel make great baby! Theres a photo of him in a past post that is my absolute fave, he’s got the biggest smile on his face, and I can’t help but smile when I see it! Love the baby bear also, he does not look impressed!

I have a nephew who’s not quite four months, and he is the most precious little monster. He’s quite serious too, he reminds me of a little old man, sitting on a porch watching the world go by……..and he’ll happily do that, until he remembers he hasn’t eaten in a whole hour and if he doesn’t get fed right away, everyones in trouble, not just mummy. I’ve made him smile a couple of times playing, but he put on a real sparkler for his mummy with the cooing and all she did was look at him and tell him he’s handsome (he knows it already – sheesh!) I wish I’d taken a photo of it, was an “aww” moment. Babies are beautiful, all they know is whats in front of them, its so awesome!

I’m thinking about doing something abit more creative as my work is mindnumbingly boring at the moment, I need some cranial stimulation!

Can’t wait to hear your news 🙂

ps: you know how back on girls guide you were doing the one photo a day challenge? maybe it could be an all out Vic-stravaganza instead!

Ah yes, my Little Vic sounds a lot like your nephew – I often refer to him as a little old man. That may also be because he’s named for my dad who actually IS a little old man!

Get creative! Do it! Do something! Anything! And keep us posted…

I like the idea of a Vic-stravaganza. Fairly sure I’ve taken at least one photo of him every day (there may be a day or two missing but not many!) When I surface from the mire I’ll put them all together.

Like I said to AndiNZ – the news isn’t quite that exciting, so please don’t be hanging on the edge of your seat!

10. Howdy this is somewhat of off topic but I was wanting to know if
    blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code
    with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding expertise so I wanted to get guidance from someone with
    experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

11. Before you select a personal injury attorney, you have to investigate
    a little and to interview some of them. More often than
    not, a claimant will not even need to attend court to receive compensation, as most claims end with an out of court settlement agreed between the
    claimant and the defendant. Michael Gopin, a successful personal injury attorney, credits the smart decision to
    seek council in the successful outcome of a landmark case.

12. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am inspired!
    Extremely helpful information specially the last section 🙂
    I deal with such info much. I was looking for this certain info for a
    long time. Thank you and good luck.

13. Hiya! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
    My site looks weird when viewing from my iphone.

I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to resolve this issue.

If you have any suggestions, please share. With thanks!

14. If you have health nut on your Christmas list, a Breville Juicer will
    be a welcome gift. Great tv news for JE95XL and its updated variations happen to be added with extra large chute
    that supports integral foodstuffs. A health foot store is going to have
    some in capsule form, but we think that the root is much more
    potent as a natural remedy.

15. We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your web site provided us with valuable information to work
    on. You’ve done a formidable job and our whole community will be grateful to you.

16. You can either create fictional characters and create a completely unrealistic fairy tale like story.

There are many websites that offer them for free and you
    can easily find lots of them. citizens to spend
    wildly on every conceivable type of imported product at highly inflated prices, while at the same time building up their personal debts.

17. Kyle’s Corner (FYI) Honda: Celebrating half a century in
    America – National Automotive

Everybody loves an excellent looking lawn. To have a lawn that is
    certainly clean and beautiful, it is crucial
    that unwanted wild growths must be chucked out periodically.
    The grass inside the garden must be trimmed at regular intervals to further improve its beauty many folds.

Besides the availability of technically advanced models of lawn mowers, Push Reel
    Mower for lawn still continues to be preferred collection
    of masses.

One of the favorite honest home based companies right this moment is performing special events videos.
    If you like as a persons vision behind it camera and
    obtain you to definitely use, you could find yourself trading tomorrow.

Seriously, think of each of the special events in people’s lives that they’d enjoy having on video.
    Weddings, marathons, club events, Little League games, retirement
    dinners, family reunions are some gatherings that searchers want on video.
    You can probably take into consideration tons more.
    Which is good if you choose this because honest home-based business for you.

Toro riding mowers are among the market leaders in the lawnmower industry.
    One of the reasons behind the recognition of Toro mowers is
    because require only routine maintenance. Lubricating the idler and
    spindle bearings and also the steering mechanism is key to preserving
    your Toro lawnmower. Lubricating these ingredients
    once every session with all the right lithium complex is sufficient.
    Here are the detailed steps you’ll want to do when greasing your Toro riding mower:

One from the oldest specialty stores in Lynchburg is The Farm
    Basket located at 2008 Langhorne Road. The Farm Basket’s facebook page states, “Welcome to your place that embraces the original, while seeking the modern and unexpected.” Farm Basket is a superb location to find
    gifts of most varieties. Many are manufactured in Virginia including a
    range of Virginia peanuts and wines. Farm Basket also carries many lines
    of top quality kitchen and household items, a large selection
    of gourmet food gifts, grills and grill accessories, plus
    a range of UVA and Virginia Tech items.

And there is always a greater fascination with office cleaning services.
    It is a low-cost start-up you’ll have installed and
    operating in one week, so you probably have already got all you need to
    get rolling. The great thing about that has a reputable business online that
    delivers office cleaning services is that you could choose to do it through the night when most everyone’s aside.
    That makes it considerably quicker to get the job done and have back, or perhaps do more offices and
    make additional money!

18. Ahaa, its fastidious discussion regarding this article here at
    this web site, I have read all that, so at this
    time me also commenting here.

19. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in
    it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message
    home a bit, but instead of that, this is fantastic blog.
    A great read. I’ll definitely be back.

20. Skrillex Recess album leak says

Hello there! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering
    which blog platform are you using for this site?

I’m getting tired of WordPress because I’ve had problems
    with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform.

I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.