Back to life

So I’ve given up that mum blog gig. Not that I wasn’t enjoying it of course – it’s fun writing about life with LV – but I’m heading back to work soon and unfortunately there aren’t enough hours in the day for me to focus on my job, my son, Joel and a commissioned blog.

Fortunately that means PBTM will be getting more love, and to mark the occasion I’ve flipped things up a bit with this new look… taking things back to basics blah blah.

So let me bring you up to speed.

Little Vic is now ten months old (what the heck?!) and he is my best buddy. He’s fantastic company, but man he’s tiring. I actually feel like the last ten months have finally caught up with me and for a week or so I’ve been in a bit of a stupor. You guys, I’m tired all the time at the moment. I’m existing in a state of total exhaustion and even after a full night’s sleep I feel as if I could go right on snoozing for the next couple of months straight. I have a bad feeling that this is just what life is like when you’re a mum, which means I’m destined to be tired for the next eighteen years. It’s a good thing he’s cute, huh?

You might recall that just before LV was born we decided to overhaul our house big time. We knocked out a major structural wall in order to make the living room, dining room and kitchen one big open plan area. This included re-gibbing and insulating the walls and ceilings. We put in a bi-fold door to open up our dining area onto the deck. We ripped out the bathrooms and started again. We had the whole house rewired – apparently our old wiring was an electrical fire waiting to happen. We moved the wardrobe in the baby’s room. We had a new kitchen fitted

Of course when I say “we” did all this, I mean to say “some qualified fellows” did all this. The only thing we did was stress out on a daily basis as the deadline blew out with the budget following suit. Now we’re about to embark on stage two of our renovations – getting a new deck. Our current deck is an eyesore and was never finished properly – as a result the framework below has been damaged by the elements, so the only option is to knock it down and start again. I am very much looking forward to having a new outdoor area to enjoy, but not so excited about the idea of hammers and drills and nailguns interfering with my attempts at getting LV down for a nap. You can guarantee I will be complaining about the hardship of construction versus baby sleep in just a few entries’ time.

Um… what else? I dunno. Perhaps you can let me know if there’s anything you’d like an update on.

Thanks for coming back, and if you’ve found yourself here for the first time… hello! Welcome! Nice to have the pleasure of your company.

1. Certified says

Hmmm, when was the last time you felt extreme exhaustion ALL THE TIME? Thinking, thinking. 😉

When I was pregnant and when I was depressed. Thankfully, I am neither!!

2. Yay. I am thinking I might have to start studying linguistics. Maybe it will help me find a word that describes just how awesome and wonderful you are.

As for that sandwich, just name the time and place.

Love you heaps, Jane. I hope to be getting back to my blogging too. Much of my time has been taken up with my young French friend I’ve been helping online. Now she is back to a good place, I can give my attention elsewhere again.

Get back on that blogging horse my friend!! Thanks for being such a great cheerleader as always 🙂

3. Ali says

Check your iron and b12 levels, yes being a mum is tiring but being tired all the time is usually a symptom that your body is missing something. It’s usually fixable!

Hmm, good point! I have had low iron levels in the past, might be time for a check up

4. Deb says

Would love to see before and after photos of your home – I remember some of the before photos but would love updated ones 🙂 ALSO….. I agree, get iron levels tested, turns out having children made me iron deficient but I have found (after trying many many many different products) a wonderful over the counter slow release iron tablet that works a treat if I start to feel tired. Having a full nights rest and still feeling tired isn’t a great feeling, I have been there a number of times – get tested 🙂

Hey Deb, I will do before and afters once we have everything sorted with the deck etc, I promise! Will definitely get iron levels checked, I think you guys might be right on that one…

5. Jade says

Hi Jane,

I just wanted to pop in and say hi, I have followed you around the internet, from your blog on stuff, to here, to the essential mums page and back again. I love reading about you and your happenings. I’ve never really commented, just once to say bye when you were leaving stuff but i feel we have a bit in common, half asian girls taking on the world ha

Thanks for giving me a great read over a cup of coffee at work, I’m glad your back on here, this one is my favourite, feels like home.

Thanks for popping in Jade, and thanks for following me around! I appreciate the comment, and please feel free to comment again in the future… it helps motivate me to know people are actually reading 🙂 That said, if you’d rather watch from the sidelines, that’s perfectly okay too.

You’ve summed things up perfectly, this blog does feel like home. I can write about my son but I can write about other stuff as well. And there isn’t the same pressure to be topic based like a column, I can just write about whatever’s on my mind. Yes, this is home.

Halfies for life!

Hey Jane, welcome home!

The Essential Mums thing wasn’t really my bag, though I dropped in a few times when I saw that you’d posted a new entry.

I wondered if you might take this back up, when I saw you were leaving EM. Looking forward to hearing about your new adventures, with baby, reno projects, life, the universe, everything.

Coffee and a sandwich, any time. 🙂

7. Welcome back. 🙂
    I think I’m into the 4th year of renovations now. It’s an ongoing thing that happens as time, money and enthusiasm allows. The end results are worth it. In fact, any significantly visible results are worth it. 🙂

After the deck we need to paint the house and landscape the garden and back courtyard area. Then we need to re-gib the study and hallway and renovate the laundry/utility area. THEN we will be done. And I will be 78.

• *Then* you’ll need to repaint anything painted and a host of other replacements as things reach their use by dates. 😉

8. Glad to see you’re back here Jane. I’ve read your entries on EM but it’s just not the same.

I know, that one was all about stinkin’ babies. YUCK! Whereas here I can talk about fun things like frustrating phone conversations with my Dad about computers, and I can also post photos of my baking.